Vans: Be a Part of the Original
“It was never about waving the brand like a flag, it was always about the people” – Paul Van Doren
Vans is the original action sports footwear company rooted in authenticity and creativity. Founded in 1966, Vans has thrived on a legacy of impacting our greater community through Vans’ four pillars: action sports, music, art and street culture. We are constantly inspired by the expressive creators within our company and community as they bring new and innovative perspectives to help shape and transform the future of our business.
At Vans our culture sets us apart and it influences everything we do. Everything we do supports creativity and we are driven by our five values. We are determined. We are connected to our consumers and to each other. We are inclusive. We are expressive and Fun. And most of all, we are a family.
Vans is a subsidiary of VF, the world’s largest retail company comprised of over 30 brands. We are the leading drivers of retail as our global footwear, apparel and accessory brand is available in 170 countries worldwide. As we continue to expand, we take great measures in developing and growing our people.
Vans is founded on a culture of learning. We take great pride in our ability to facilitate learning opportunities by providing the resources and tools necessary to support each individual’s pursuit of growth to achieve future goals. In order to prioritize career growth within our company, Vans offers courses on topics such as leadership, communication, collaboration and technical skills to ensure our employees are self-motivated and developing to the pace of our rapidly growing business.
By joining the Vans family, you will be immersed into an environment of incredibly supportive and collaborative people. We work very hard across a multitude of large initiatives to bring the Van Doren spirit to life. We live for what we do.
Human Resources Manager – Retail: Become the Newest Member of the Vans Family
As one of our dedicated and passionate Human Resources Managers for our Retail team, you will have the important responsibility of supporting the engagement and development of talent within your assigned region. Through your deep knowledge of multi-unit complexities, current labor laws, and conflict resolution, you will foster positive employee relations and empower our field to work at their very best.
You are well versed in benefits, LOAs, and have experience with an HRIS (Workday experience ideal) database. You enjoy the challenge of crafting paperwork and partnering with our legal counsel and parent company, VF on various needs. Your efforts will directly help us grow and expand our North America region and develop our next generation leaders.
How You Will Make a Difference:
- Fosters positive and effective employee relations and advises and assists leaders with a broad range of human resource functions including coaching, conflict resolution, progressive discipline, separations and other sensitive matters.
- Ensures compliance with EEO and related federal/state laws by conducting investigations into internal discrimination/harassment complaints and other high-leveraged allegations in order to mitigate risk and minimize legal action. This includes interacting with and interviewing all levels of management; data analysis; determining/recommending appropriate resolutions (from coaching/counseling to disciplinary action up to & including termination of employment); and appropriately documenting fact findings and recommendations.
- Advocates for regional store needs related to employee job changes, ensuring change of status documents and new hire transactions are processed accurately and timely. May also include assistance in the recruiting process by preparing the request for a position change with the appropriate approvals, while also maintaining compensation guidelines.
- Partners with senior leaders to ensure employee relations policies and procedures are in line with and driving store and brand business strategies.
- Oversees Benefit Administration for respective region, including new hire enrollment, annual open enrollment, COBRA administration, 401K, Leaves of Absence, Work Comp Claims Management, HIPPA compliance and assisting employees with benefit questions.
- Supports organizational development programs for regional stores including performance management, leadership development, as well as individual employee programs.
- Maintains knowledge of industry trends, federal and state employment legislation and ensures company compliance by updating and implementing company policies and procedures to ensure compliance for multiple states.
- Oversees employee recognition programs for assigned region, and supports the development of new programs to drive employee engagement.
- Utilizes existing tools to support workforce planning within assigned region, and supports the development of new programs to ensure we have the right people, in the right place, at the right time.
Skills for Success:
- Years of Related Professional Experience: 6+ years
- A Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management or related field, and a minimum of 3 years experience managing employee relations in a multi-unit environment.
- Experience working with Canadian locations preferred
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely (written, oral and presentation skills)
- Ability to pro-actively plan, schedule and execute multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to maintain confidential information
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret policies, procedures, and other business practices and ensure alignment with strategic goals and legal requirements
Special Physical and/or Mental Requirements:
- Travel by air and overnight, as required 5% amount of time.
- Willing and able to work additional hours as required